Have a drink, dude.

PortalHomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Betelguese
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   27th May 2010, 5:15 pm

Oh God...

Iron Maiden have cited you as an influence, but you’ve also gone uncredited for being a massive influence on so many bands.

I’m very flattered. Those guys are among my best friends especially Nicko and Bruce as well. They’ve said that I’ve inspired them and that’s nice coming from Bruce because he doesn’t say that a lot. He’s a good lad and I admire him. And I think it’ll carry in after I’m gone. I’m a good person and that’s all I’ve ever tried to be. If this is an image buster then so be it. If you’re expecting me to be Blackie Lawless, well I’m not.

Read the full article from, here.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   27th May 2010, 6:46 pm

I read this some time ago, when I was searching for some message of Blackie about Ronnie's passing away... and got this interview as a result, instead Neutral
I still don't get what he means with "If this is an image buster then so be it", though Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
xanthipee
Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   27th May 2010, 11:12 pm

I really like Dio, but what the hell did he mean by "if you're expecting me to be Blackie Lawless..."? As far as I know, he didn't have a big issue with Blackie, although I remember Blackie saying something not very flattering about Dio, something like "Dio is not my favourite song writer". Is this the cause of the misunderstanding?
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   31st May 2010, 6:18 pm

I don't know, don't wanna see that as a negative statement about him, I think it's all because of the media as always.. It's the title quoting that sentence but it never seems like a big deal. For those who doesn't know Blackie well might think that he's not humble at all - and they are right actually, because that's his image. I honestly believe that's exactly what Dio has meant - this is the absolute rock n roll image; but he just doesn't try to have it like Blackie does, or at least did.

In fact, Blackie never said anything like 'Dio is not my favorite song writer'; on the contrary he said Dio was a good song writer along with Geoff Tate and Rob Halford. Here's an excerpt from a KNAC interview:

KNAC.COM
: Who do you look at as being an example of a great wordsmith within the metal community?
BLACKIE: Geoff Tate comes to mind. Dio is good -- he’s pretty animated. Probably Halford, too, but the first guy that comes to mind is Tate.

It's an interesting one;
Click here for the complete interview.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   31st May 2010, 7:24 pm

Betelguese wrote:
I don't know, don't wanna see that as a negative statement about him, I think it's all because of the media as always.. It's the title quoting that sentence but it never seems like a big deal. For those who doesn't know Blackie well might think that he's not humble at all - and they are right actually, because that's his image. I honestly believe that's exactly what Dio has meant - this is the absolute rock n roll image; but he just doesn't try to have it like Blackie does, or at least did.

That was the conclusion I came up with, too Very Happy

I think I never saw that Blackie interview, before, by the way! Gonna read it now Very Happy he likes Geoff Tate, too, that's cool!
Back to top Go down
xanthipee
Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   1st June 2010, 11:02 pm

I apologize for the misquote. This is what I meant when I said Blackie didn't appreciate Dio:

" ...A Ronnie James Dio record perhaps? Do you find
his words play too elaborate to get into?

"No, I see nothing elaborate coming from Ronnie. Let's just say that
he's not one of my favourite lyricists! ..."

Kerranag, November, 1985 (the whole interview is in the archive on waspnation)

So, he said it after all, although he didn't exactly used the word "songwriter". Moreover, I remember another interview in which Blackie was mocking Dio because of the his height and here's the quote, i.e. the whole cutting:

Early interview with
Blackie
1984 from the U.K Sounds Magazine

I was unpleasantly surprised when I read what Blackie said about Dio as a lyricist, but if I was asked to compare Dio and Blackie, I would say this: Dio is a better singer, but Blackie is a better lyricist.

Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   1st June 2010, 11:37 pm

Hahah, I remember that article!!! Very Happy

...But I didn't remember that wonderful pic of Blackie in it... aaaaaaaawwww!

Anyway, the thing about Ronnie's height was just for fun, nothing too serious, I think Very Happy as for the other quote... dunno what to say Laughing considering his words in that more recent interview posted by Bet, he may just have changed his mind as the time passed, lol.

P.S.: a comparison between Blackie and Ronnie? Woh, I could never choose! Well, probably I'd go for Blackie as a lyricist, but I could never make a choice between their voices. :oops:
Back to top Go down
xanthipee
Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   1st June 2010, 11:58 pm

I also think the height thing is not to be taken too seriously, but it does bother me a bit, because I really like Dio ... And yes, Blackie has probably changed his mind about Dio's writing abilities, but I just want to be sure that, in spite of my age, my memory serves me well.
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   2nd June 2010, 12:30 am

actually,i didn't wanna get into this conversation,i didn't wanna think about this issue Neutral
i agree with Bet,i think what Ronnie meant was about Blackie's wild and nasty rock'n roll image..but as for the things he said about Ronnie...well,that's Blackie..we can never be sure which Blackie said it and then which one stated the opposite

i love Ronnie very much and i don't wanna compare them in any way..they're just too different
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”   

Back to top Go down

Ronnie James Dio: “If You’re Expecting Me To Be Blackie Lawless, Well I’m Not”
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1