Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   7th June 2010, 7:35 pm

principia wrote:
wow,such a cool way to study for your exams

Hehe, definitely it is

I stopped being a hard working student ever since I discovered that I could still get high graduations doing half of the things I used to do... Laughing but I totally get what you mean with that feeling, it was exactly the same for me last year with the freaking names of the parts of a printed book, printing techinques and so on... so damn boring to learn (and so damn easy to forget right after the exams )

Thank you, by the way!!! Very Happy I wish you luck, too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
Betelguese
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   7th June 2010, 8:01 pm

Ah; stop it. Exams grrrr

Well, after Therese Raquin, I've finished Lamiel by Stendhal, too bad it was unfinished and released 40 years after his death.. Gotta love him, every piece of his work takes a place at the bottom of your heart..

Wanna begin reading Doctor Zhivago soon but, uhmm.. What? Exams?

Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   13th June 2010, 5:26 pm

Doctor Zhivago fucking rules! too bad i read it in English class years ago and can't remember much of it..i'll be reading it after you finish with it..
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   15th June 2010, 4:59 pm

K, k.. Now I'm off to read maybe one of the greatest sci-fi pieces, pure imagination; "General Chemistry; Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci-Harwood-Herring

Dammit, it's bloody fun
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   18th June 2010, 11:35 pm

damn you Petrucci
i could only read a few pages of it but seems that our old fart read every line of it,cause he asked many pointless questions from many unrelated parts
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   21st June 2010, 9:56 pm

finished "Queda la Noche" by Soledad Puértolas,then started "The Landlady",a novella by Dostoyevsky, and i have just finished it..love ya Fyodor

now,i'm starting "The Grapes of Wrath"..a little too late for that one,but i lost my mum's original edition of the book (actually,my uncle did ) so i forgot about that one for years but had another copy last year..
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   21st June 2010, 10:06 pm

Lol, uncles losing copies of the books seem to be a must... same happened to many books my mum gave to my uncles, hahahah Laughing

Betelguese wrote:
K, k.. Now I'm off to read maybe one of the greatest sci-fi pieces, pure imagination; "General Chemistry; Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci-Harwood-Herring

Dammit, it's bloody fun

Aaaaw, poor girl damn boring books

Anyway, still going on with Leviathan... luckily, the History of Book thing is finished and the exam is done Very Happy
...Unfortunately, now I have lots of boring stuff to read for my Graphic Design exam... laws about public communications, mass media, the way advertisings are done and basically lots of names and definitions to learn
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   22nd June 2010, 8:51 pm

I got a gift card from Amazon for filling out surveys, so I was able to order a few new books to read. I got 4 DisInfo books - I LOVE stuff from DisInfo - and a DisInfo video, a book about Lilith that I just started last night, another book about self-distructive culture and...something else - slips my mind what it was...
Also a friend of mine has been loaning me a few books. A couple by Charles DeLint, fiction books that blend several different aspects of neo-pagan and primative cultures - like the trickster aspects of Native Amertican, with legends of shape-shifters from Ireland and Germany. I also read one about Marie LaVeau (a famous voodoo queen from New Orleans) and a couple of books called 'Kushel's Dart' and 'Kushel's Chosen' - not my usual style of reading, but pretty good books none the less. My friend who loaned me the books is fairly baffled by how quickly I read. Both of the 'Kushel' books are about 900 pages, but I whipped through them in two days each.
Does anyone have some suggestions of good books to read?
We've a public library that has been remodeled and expanded that I haven't been to yet since the works been done - and I used to work there! Twice!
I really need to go there sometime...
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   7th July 2010, 1:04 pm

just finished "The Crystal Sailboat" by Jose Mauro Vasconcelos after my brother read it. i love reading juvenile books and thinking about starting to write one(woking on it actually) so i gotta read a couple of them.

btw,still reading "The Grapes of Wrath".
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   7th July 2010, 1:24 pm

zombiesmack27 wrote:

We've a public library that has been remodeled and expanded that I haven't been to yet since the works been done - and I used to work there! Twice!
I really need to go there sometime...

great that you worked in a library! always wanted to do that!

well,i'm sure you read most of them but i've got some really great books to suggest:

The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (one of the best books i've ever read)
Martin Eden by Jack London
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Therese Raquin by Emile Zola

these classics are the best works i've ever read..
also,try to find as many Poe tales as you can like "The Pit and the Pendulum" "The Masque of the Red Death"
they aren't published properly in Turkey (well,i found one which is quite expensive but contains all of his works)
so i read them either in compilations or in some "Poe Best Of" s Smile
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   10th July 2010, 10:01 pm

'Dorian Gray' is a good one - I had to read that one just because it was so notorious.

Working at the library isn't all it's cracked up to be. Mainly reshelving books and dealing with rude twats who have the IQ of a tomato. I quit the place both times to go to work at factories - the factory work paid more.

Right now I'm reading a sci-fi book called 'The Electric Church' by Jeff Somers. I just got done with 'The Bachman Books' by Stephen King.
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   12th July 2010, 10:18 pm

zombiesmack27 wrote:
Gosh, this is one of the hardest questions ever king

zombiesmack27 wrote:
'Dorian Gray' is a good one - I had to read that one just because it was so notorious.
Absolutely Cool
And I've done something today that I'm not sure of its appropriateness, my bro have to read some books in this summer break and write summaries about those. Okay, I've bought a dorian grey comics version copy for him to read hehe

Now I'm reading Doctor Zhivago, at last
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   12th July 2010, 11:37 pm

oh no Bet! i really don't think that'll be appropriate for him.

you should've bought him "The Happy Prince and Other Stories" by Wilde which consists of:

The Happy Prince
The Nightingale and the Rose
The Selfish Giant
The Devoted Friend
The Remarkable Rocket

i bought it when i was 14 and saw that the stories were more appropriate for my little bro(who was just 3 I love you ). i used to read stories to him and he'd listen to me for hours. i remember,he adored The Selfish Giant. he used to bring me the book,find the page and listen to me while i was reading it,trying to memorize every word of it(he used to memorize his story books back then) and i used to cry at the end of it,couldn't control my voice every time i read it Sad

then,he learned how to read and write and read it himself for god knows how many times Smile

so,read it youself instead and go buy him The Happy Prince..he'll thank you for that!
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   20th August 2010, 8:51 pm

just finished with(finally ) The Grapes of Wrath a couple of days ago(but read some other books from my brother's library as i said above,that's why i was too late on that one Smile ) and started a Turkish classic. also,reading a political one mostly about my city's history-ancient Greeks- and i have to finish that one soon cause the writer is my neighbour and he's a disciplined man-a retired soldier-..i'm sure he's gonna ask me lots of questions about it

gonna start reading "Dolores" by SK soon..can't believe i finally found it cheers
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   20th August 2010, 10:04 pm

I finished Eric by Terry Pratchett just yesterday, and now I don't know what to read Neutral I have the Queen Of The Damned by Anne Rice, I brought that one with me at Wacken and abandoned it at page 100 or somewhat like that... I should come back to it, but I'm not in the mood for vampire stories, at the moment Suspect
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   20th August 2010, 10:36 pm

Doctor Ruin wrote:
but I'm not in the mood for vampire stories, at the moment Suspect

oh really?
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   30th August 2010, 11:28 pm

"Dolores Claiborne" by Stephen King..
yeah,finally bom
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   31st August 2010, 1:02 am

principia wrote:
Doctor Ruin wrote:
but I'm not in the mood for vampire stories, at the moment Suspect

oh really?

Hahahah, just noticed that Laughing

Ehr... let's say "not in the mood for vampire stories, but there's always some space for fat vampires"

Oh, trying to read "His Dark Materials I: Northern Lights" for the... mmmh... third time, I think Laughing when I bought it I found it terribly boring and never finished it... taking it back now, it doesn't seem as terrible as I considered it to be at first What a Face

Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   6th September 2010, 1:46 am

finished with Dolores today,it was one of his best i like the references to "Gerald's Game"

started "Sigmund Freud: Explorer of the Unconscious" by Margaret Muckenhoupt..
still going on with the one one of our neighbours gave to me(the conspiracy theorist/historian remember? )..ah,i hate reading anything politics related but,i have to finish with it soon

Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   6th September 2010, 1:59 pm

Lol, maybe you can read some pages here and there, so that when the guy asks you about the book, you can answer with random stuff from the part you read Laughing

principia wrote:
"Gerald's Game"

Aaaaw, love that book

Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   6th September 2010, 8:51 pm

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Lol, maybe you can read some pages here and there, so that when the guy asks you about the book, you can answer with random stuff from the part you read Laughing

haha that's what i'm doing
well,there are very interesting things in it but there are lots of biased opinions as well and i don't like that Neutral
what's even worse is that,his(the writer's) wife was my English teacher at secondary school and high school,a very considerate,sensitive and sophisticated lady-a great teacher as well- i really own her much and respect her..she cares a lot about my opinions on many things and asked me if i finished with the book the other day..so i really have to read it and make a little detailed review about it Very Happy

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Aaaaw, love that book

then you should definitely read this one as well..i love his illimitable imagination even more when there are references between his characters in many of his books
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   9th September 2010, 4:15 pm

principia wrote:
Doctor Ruin wrote:

haha that's what i'm doing
well,there are very interesting things in it but there are lots of biased opinions as well and i don't like that Neutral
what's even worse is that,his(the writer's) wife was my English teacher at secondary school and high school,a very considerate,sensitive and sophisticated lady-a great teacher as well- i really own her much and respect her..she cares a lot about my opinions on many things and asked me if i finished with the book the other day..so i really have to read it and make a little detailed review about it Very Happy

Aaaaw, how nice! Very Happy
I guess you'll definitely have to make some detailed points, then... Neutral sounds like something that often happens in this sort of books, by the way: you have some very interesting concepts... then you get certain opinions you don't really like and you didn't really ask for Laughing

Quote :
Doctor Ruin wrote:
Aaaaw, love that book

then you should definitely read this one as well..i love his illimitable imagination even more when there are references between his characters in many of his books

Hell yeah, he's a fracking genius, love him... and his writing style
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   11th September 2010, 7:56 pm

finished with Mr. Freud
wow,what a life! he's definitely a genius and although i don't completely agree with what he says(i don't think Oedipus Complex is such a common thing in society or not all of the hysteriacs suffer from sexual abuses or suppression back then) and i do think that he's a selfish,lonely,obsessional and sometimes hurtful towards his collegues and friends just because of the thoughts of fame. he didn't let-even his friends-take his ideas and expand them with new ideas,he had his rights and wrongs-and followers of course-.

but what he did and say was beyond his time and situation that he lived in and he went through real hard times(cause he was a Jew during 1st and 2nd WW) and i respect him very much no matter what. if he didn't have such a strong personality,his name wouldn't be remembered now..and of course,as a scientist(well,not yet but let's say a candidate or just a science lover) i respect every scientist for their work!

a hardly recommended book guys

i finished with that one while i was in my grandma's and didn't take any book with me cause it really made a pleasent reading and i didn't think i'd finish with it in such a short time..i went to the attic to find my uncle's books there in grandma's but the attic was conquered by cats and didn't have a pleasent scent Neutral i had to leave there as soon as possible but found Jules Michelet's Renaissence(have to admit that i couldn't get into it,just overran it)

now i think i'm gonna start Before Adam by Jack London..found a special edition a couple of weeks ago,which lets you read the original manuscript on one page and the translation on the other so that you can compare them! amazing isn't it? i bought this one and 2 of them that i left in the other house..anyways,gonna be an interesting read!
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   12th September 2010, 12:51 am

principia wrote:
finished with Mr. Freud
wow,what a life! he's definitely a genius and although i don't completely agree with what he says(i don't think Oedipus Complex is such a common thing in society or not all of the hysteriacs suffer from sexual abuses or suppression back then) and i do think that he's a selfish,lonely,obsessional and sometimes hurtful towards his collegues and friends just because of the thoughts of fame. he didn't let-even his friends-take his ideas and expand them with new ideas,he had his rights and wrongs-and followers of course-.

but what he did and say was beyond his time and situation that he lived in and he went through real hard times(cause he was a Jew during 1st and 2nd WW) and i respect him very much no matter what. if he didn't have such a strong personality,his name wouldn't be remembered now..and of course,as a scientist(well,not yet but let's say a candidate or just a science lover) i respect every scientist for their work!

a hardly recommended book guys

Sounds interesting! Freud is one of those characters we never had the chance to study decently at school, 'cos the year was about to finish and we only had some quick lessons on him, even if I always thought he was really interesting. I have The Interpretation Of Dreams, started to read it a while ago, then stopped 'cos I had many other books to finish, as usual this book you mentioned sounds interesting, as I know very few stuff about the man behind all of those theories!

As for the Jack London book... that's cool! We often get poetry books like that... original text in its original language on a side, translation on the other side. The funny part is when the original text is in German or Arabic... soooooo clear
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   13th September 2010, 6:21 pm

decided to read London later..
i found very cheap books again in one of the local book stores..3 books for about.. *tries to convert* 2.5-3 euros,and these are real interesting books by one of my favorite publications..

i started reading one of them; "Being Dead" by Jim Crace study
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   16th September 2010, 11:57 am

After ages of not knowing what to read, I finally took again Bag of Bones by Stephen King Very Happy
Started to read it ages ago, but never finished it because of my continuous switching between different books, lol. It's my intention to finish it, this time I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   

Back to top Go down

What'cha Reading?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next